Trending Graphic Novels
Graphic novels are going strong!
- Eisner Award nominee Chris Grine brings us a delightful new hero in CHICKENHARE, with film rights already sold to Sony Pictures Animation.
- Launch into space with the hilarious and inventive sci-fi debut, THE SILVER SIX, by A. J. Lieberman and illustrated by Darren Rawlings.
- New York Times bestselling author Kazu Kibuishi is back with another thrilling tale for his Amulet series!
- Dive into the action in Raina Telgemeier’s DRAMA, a sweet middle grade take on friendship, love, and—what else—the drama club.
- Laughter is the best medicine in Telgemeier’s Eisner winning memoir SMILE.
- See what happens in the breathless story of renowned author and artist Doug TenNapel’s CARDBOARD when a magical cardboard box comes to life.
- Don’t miss TenNapel’s previous novel, GHOSTOPOLIS, for which Hugh Jackman’s production company has optioned the film rights!
- Check out Chris Wooding’s otherworld fantasy-adventure, PANDEMONIUM, as a retelling of Prince and the Pauper with wings!
By Chris Grine
Publication date: February 2013
Chickenhare: half chicken, half rabbit, 100% hero!
- Like Jeff Smith’s BONE, this book features a great cast of funny and unusual characters.
- A hilarious fantasy adventure with a dose of danger that will appeal to both boys and girls.
- Nominated for an Eisner Award for best publication for a younger audience.
- Sony Pictures Animation has picked up the film rights for an animated feature.
What's a chickenhare? A cross between a chicken and a rabbit, of course. And that makes Chickenhare the rarest animal around! So when he and his turtle friend Abe are captured and sold to the evil taxidermist Klaus, they've got to find a way to escape before Klaus turns them into stuffed animals. With the help of two other strange creatures, Banjo and Meg, they might even get away. But with Klaus and his thugs hot on their trail, the adventure is only just beginning for this unlikely quartet of friends.
Visit Grine’s website here.
THE SILVER SIX
By A. J. Lieberman
Illustrated by Darren Rawlings
Publication date: July 2013
A group of orphans on the run search for a new home among the stars.
- With a multicultural cast of kids, this book will appeal to a wide range of young readers.
- A sci-fi action-adventure mixed with heart and humor is perfect for both boys and girls.
When a group of orphans discover they have a common connection, plucky heroine Phoebe leads them in a daring escape from their orphanage to an uninhabited moon. But their idyllic paradise is shattered when the powerful corporate boss who caused the deaths of their parents sends a relentless henchman to track them down. Now, with nowhere left to turn and tired of being on the run, these resourceful kids decide there's only one thing left to do: Fight back!
Publication date: September 2012
Graphic novel star Kazu Kibuishi creates a New York Times bestselling world of terrible, man-eating demons, a mechanical rabbit, a talking fox, a giant robot—and two ordinary children on a mission.
- A movie by Will Smith's production company, Overbrook Entertainment, is in the works.
- This series, which is loved by both boys and girls, continues to gain momentum with each book!
- Amulet #1 was an ALA Best Book and shortlisted for the CBC's Children's Choice Book Awards.
- Kibuishi has an awesome fan base, as he is also the founder and editor of the FLIGHT anthologies.
Emily has survived the chaos of the Guardian Academy, but Max Griffin, who is working for the Elf King, has escaped with the Mother Stone. The Elf King has now forged new amulets, which will allow him the ability to invade Cielis and destroy it once and for all. Emily and her friends desperately make preparations to defend Cielis in what will inevitably be a brutal war, and they can only hope that it will be enough to defeat the Elf King.
Publication Date: September 2012
Raina Telgemeier, the New York Timesbestselling author of the Eisner Award winner, Smile, brings us her next full-color graphic novel . . . DRAMA!
- Smile won the Will Eisner Award and received a Boston Globe-Horn Book Honor.
- Smile is a New York Times bestseller and has sold more than 300,000 copies!
- With a middle-school setting and themes of identity and friendship, DRAMA targets Smile’s audience.
Callie loves theater. And while she would totally try out for her middle school's production of Moon Over Mississippi, she's a terrible singer. Instead she's the set designer for the stage crew, and this year she's determined to create a set worthy of Broadway on a middle-school budget. But how can she, with the onstage AND offstage drama that occurs once the actors are chosen, and when two cute brothers enter the picture, things get even crazier! Following the success of Smile, Raina Telgemeier brings us another graphic novel featuring a diverse set of characters that humorously explores friendship, crushes, and all-around drama!
Visit Raina’s website.
Starred Reviews for DRAMA:
“The author follows up her award-winning graphic novel Smile with another dead-on look at the confusing world of middle school, sweetly capturing all the drama swirling around the school production: from jealousies and misunderstandings to the last-minute surprise stage substitution that may not make a star, but helps settle who likes who. “
—Publishers Weekly, starred review
“In this realistic and sympathetic story, feelings and thoughts leap off the page, revealing Telgemeier’s keen eye for young teen life.”
—Booklist, starred review
“With the clear, stylish art, the strongly appealing characters and just the right pinch of drama, this book will undoubtedly make readers stand up and cheer.”
—Kirkus Reviews, starred review
Published February 2010
Will Eisner award winning and #1 New York Timesbestselling author’s first graphic novel! From the artist of Babysitters Club Graphixcomes this humorous coming-of-age true story about the dental drama that ensues after a trip-and-fall mishap.
- Telgemeier is well known in the comic and children's book industries as the artist of BSC Graphix...
- ...and as a contributor to Kazu Kibuishi's Flight anthology.
- SMILE was posted as a weekly comic on Telgemeier's website and already has a strong following.
- The art in this memoir targeted for middle-grade girls is as charming and expressive as the text.
- SMILE is a New York Times #1 bestseller!
Raina just wants to be a normal sixth grader. But one night after Girl Scouts she trips and falls, severely injuring her two front teeth. What follows is a long and frustrating journey with on-again, off-again braces, surgery, embarrassing headgear, and even a retainer with fake teeth attached. And on top of all that, there's still more to deal with: a major earthquake, boy confusion, and friends who turn out to be not so friendly.
SMILE has now sold in 5 languages—German, French, Bhasa Indonesioan, Dutch and Hebrew.
Publication Date: June 2013
In the tradition of OLD YELLER comes the heartwarming friendship between a boy and his Tyrannosaurus Rex
- This color edition features 32 pages of all-new art!
- A heartwarming story about a boy and his dinosaur pet that will appeal to all kids.
- Nominated in 2005 for two Eisner Awards: Best Graphic Album and Best Publication for a Younger Audience.
- Doug TenNapel's Scholastic graphic novels have been praised by critics and readers alike.
When Ely's beloved dog, Tommy, is hit by a car, he goes to his grandpa's house for the summer to get his mind off things. While exploring a nearby cave one day he discovers a full-grown but friendly Tyrannosaurus Rex. As the news of the dinosaur grows around town, so does the friendship between Ely and his Jurassic pet. But Randy, the mean kid down the street, decides he's going to make life miserable for Ely and his dinosaur-to devastating effect.
Published August 2012
When cardboard creatures come magically to life, a boy must save his town from disaster.
Cam's down-and-out father gives him a cardboard box for his birthday and he knows it's the worst present ever. So to make the best of a bad situation, they bend the cardboard into a man-and to their astonishment, it comes magically to life. But the neighborhood bully, Marcus, warps the powerful cardboard into his own evil creations that threaten to destroy them all!
Published July 2010
A page-turning adventure of a boy's journey to the land of ghosts and back.
- Fast-paced, boy-oriented fantasy-adventure featuring action and humor.
- GHOSTOPOLIS is a perfect blend of otherworldly spookiness, with ghosts, ghouls, and mayhem.
- Doug TenNapel is a well-known graphic novel-artist with a built-in fan base of readers.
- TenNapel is an Eisner award-winning artist, and his most recent graphic novels, Iron West (2007) and Monster Zoo (2009), were cited by ALA as Great Graphic Novels for Teens.
Imagine Garth Hale's surprise when he's accidentally zapped to the spirit world by Frank Gallows, a washed-out ghost wrangler. Suddenly Garth finds he has powers the ghosts don't have, and he's stuck in a world run by the evil ruler of Ghostopolis, who would use Garth's newfound abilities to rule the ghostly kingdom. When Garth meets Cecil, his grandfather's ghost, the two search for a way to get Garth back home, and nearly lose hope until Frank Gallows shows up to fix his mistake.
By Chris Wooding
Illustrated by Cassandra Diaz
Acclaimed author Chris Wooding's first graphic novel—fun fantasy-adventure with a macabre twist!
- Continues with the adventure template Graphix has found in Bone and Amulet
- Chris Wooding's last three novels were all ALA Best Books for Young Adults
- Fun adventure/fantasy for the middle-grade set, with dynamic art, plus dynamic monsters for the boys and subtle romance for the girls
- With action, humor, and a bit of romance, this is the story of a lovable, down-on-his-luck hero whose yearning for adventure is unexpectedly answered.
Seifer's always dreamed of more—of leaving his tiny, remote village for a new life beyond the mountains. He just never dreamed it would happen like this. Knocked unconscious and abducted, Seifer awakens in the royal palace to learn that Prince Talon Pandemonium has gone missing. And since Seifer is a ringer for Talon, it's his duty to replace the missing royal in his roles of diplomat, warrior, and Lord Defender of the Realm. He might fool Talon's sisters. He might fool Talon's army. But Seifer has little hope of fooling Talon's enemies. . . .